Using a Makefile With My Website


Categories: Web-dev Hugo
Tagged: Web-dev Hugo

It shouldn’t be a surprise that I use Hugo as a static site generator. Not only is it fast, but it is also incredibly customizable, which is something that I find useful considering my website has so much stuff on it. In addition, being able to create shortcodes to avoid reusing code on certain pages is such a helpful tool for wikis. Finally, having support for Emacs' Org-Mode is what initially drew me to Hugo in the first place. I had tried using org-publish to try and set up a website, but had so many little issues with it that I decided to scrap it and keep looking around for a better way to set up a website. That was when I found Hugo, and decided to try it out.

Ultimately, I found that when I was starting to create layouts and templates, typing the full hugo server -D --navigateToChanged was just long to type (yes, lazy, I know), especially when I was debugging an error with my shortcodes and templates. Being able just to type make server makes it much faster for me to debug code but also to get previews of code.

Not Just For Debugging

Hugo also allows for content to be created with a certain archetype - by default, this matches the directory you are creating the content for. As an example, if I had an archetype called project.org, if I ran hugo new project/hello-world.org the file content/project/hello-world.org would be created, with all the content needed for a blog post. Here’s what my org-mode project archetype looks like:

 1
 2
 3
 4
 5
 6
 7
 8
 9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
#+title: {{ replace .Name "-" " " | title }}
#+draft: true
#+srclang:
#+srcicon:
#+summary:
#+type: project
#+featured:
#+layout: single
#+percDone: 0
#+lastUpdated:
#+docs:
#+projectSite:
#+gitlab:
#+github:
#+bitbucket:
#+readmore: false

Obviously that’s a lot of custom parameters, so I’ll try to go through line-by-line and explain what’s going on.

The title, draft, layout, type, and featured parameters are all easy enough to understand, I feel like. The srclang represents the language or languages the project is written in - for my pyronsworn project, as an example, it’s written in python. The srcicon is the icon to use to display next to the source language - it must be one of the languages or icons listed at devicon.dev. The percDone is used to fill the progress bar across from the source language - it represents how much is approximately done on the latest release of the project. The last 4 parameters are all different links to places where the project lives - additionally, you can set up a trello link, add a trello parameter to the project frontmatter, and you can see the link to the roadmap, though that isn’t required. The readmore variable is used to provide a way to read a little bit more about the project before trying out the project.

While setting up a snippet could be useful for this, Hugo has the tools to do it automatically. However, the one thing I hadn’t had much luck with was using the read command in a Makefile. Ultimately, I figured out the answer through an answer on the Unix StackExchange which ultimately allowed me to read in user input when I ran a Make command. So now, instead of having to run hugo new projects/some-project.org -k project, I can just run make project and immediately get the template set up. While not a perfect setup, it’s much easier to get going rather than using the full command or even creating an empty file in the right directory. And while I could set up different file formats in the Makefile, such as post.org, I feel like getting the initial functionality down is much more important than bonus features.

Here is my current Makefile for the website.

 1
 2
 3
 4
 5
 6
 7
 8
 9
10
.PHONY: server post project

server:
	@hugo server -D --navigateToChanged --verbose

post:
	@echo "Enter the file name (include the suffix): " && read filename; hugo new blog/$$filename -k post

project:
	@echo "Enter the file name (include the suffix): " && read filename; hugo new projects/$$filename -k project